Today we began work on the "I Am" assignment
("http://www.masters.ab.ca/bdyck/Homeless/Poetry/index.html"),
a poetry assignment where students will put themselves in the shoes of a homeless person and write a format-specific poem. I handed out the assignment sheet and rubric. They were encouraged to use a thesaurus to locate words that had "punch". The assignment is due Friday, October 17.
Students immediately got to work on the computers. I directed them to an online Thesaurus site that few had used before. ( www.dictionary.com)
Megan pointed out that a synonym for "lonely" is "homeless". Isn't that interesting!
As they wrote, the students and I discussed possible words and phrases that would communicate the "I Am" statements as effectively as possible. These students came up with some wonderful suggestions. Some examples were:
- I feel 1000 different wounds
- I am pointless and of no use
- I wonder if I will ever find a purpose in life
- I cry when I think about peoples thoughts about me
I anticipate some powerful poems from these students.
The Eleanor Rigby Project
This blog will document my thoughts and observations while working on The Eleanor Rigby Project with my Grade Seven CLUE students.
<< Home