Thursday, October 09, 2003

Yesterday I created an "Eleanor Rigby Project" bulletin board out in the middle school hall. Here we will post student work. At the top of the bulletin board I hung a worn pair of shoes that were peeking out of the bottom of a pink, tattered balanket. By the shoes there was a sign scribble don paper towle: "Homeless and Hungry. Please Help". A plastic bag of lose change hung by the shoes and sign. There was no face at the top of the blanketed figure, almost like the faceless people who stand on street corners asking for our help.

I went on Amazon.com and did a search on books that have been written on the homeless. As titles came up I copy/pasted pictures of the book covers into a Word document to print and use as a border for the bulletin board.

I read many very interesting tiiles...titles that really made me think. The one that grabbed my attention the most was:

"The Word on the Street: Performing the Scriptures in the Urban Context"

by Stanley Suanders and Charles Campbell.

What a heady thought...taking the scriptures and giving them feet in everyday life. on the following link to this book (on Amazon) there are 13 samples pages. I want to order this book to find out more. What an incredible assignment this could make. Perhaps we could call it "The Word on the Street: Performing the Scriptures With the Homeless".

http://tinyurl.com/6ws6x

I used the book jackets as a border aorund the bulletin board. Next week we will sit as a class around this bulletin board and discuss what these books might talk about as well as the effectivness of choosing titles that capture your attention and imagination. I hung the students "homeless" mindmaps under the bulletin board.